I make this delicious hummus recipe every week because it’s so quick to throw together and it is a wonderful snack option to have on hand. Traditionally, hummus is made with tahini, a condiment made from sesame seeds. Unfortunately, when I consume sesame seeds, I get a rash. So, I had to live a sad, hummus-free life until I realized that sunflower seeds make a great substitute. if you’re like me and can’t eat tahini, or if you just don’t have tahini on hand, try sunflower seeds for a delicious alternative. I promise you won’t notice a difference.
- 2 cans of garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw or roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp water
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve with chips or raw veggies.
If you want to elevate your hummus, top with a mixture of sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, whole garbanzo beans, basil, feta and smoked paprika.