It’s getting close to the holiday season again and if you’re like us, you’ll probably be celebrating with some sweet treats! We believe it’s important to indulge in seasonal delights because if you indulge a little during the holiday season, you will feel like you are participating in all the fun that this time of the year has to offer. Depriving yourself will only make you feel like you missed out later on. Plus, indulging now will give you that extra motivation to get back on track come January.
But who says eating sweets will put your favorite pair of jeans out of commission during the holidays? Treat yourself to this decadent little dessert and you will be glistening all season long! Cheers to not living in sweats this season!! Woot! Woot!
This dessert is perfect for at least five reasons:
1. The brownies are adapted from Jillian Michael’s Ultimate Healthy Brownies which are lower in fat because applesauce is substituted for most of the oil.
2. They are gluten- and dairy-free.
3. They are the perfect potion size to satisfy your sweet tooth without making you feel all sugared out.
4. They are insanely easy to make.
5. They are glamorous enough to make for a party but also perfect for keeping in the fridge for your stomach only (we won’t judge).
The parfait is comprised of two layers each of brownie, coconut whipped cream, and raspberries. Each parfait is then topped with mint for touch of glamor and sophistication. Coconut milk contains lauric acid which actually speeds up your metabolism. So, basically, you’re losing weight by eating these…actually, consider them your holiday work out plan. Okay, we joke! That would be a holiday miracle. However, please do enjoy the holiday season. Treat yourself to some healthy, yet decadent, sweets and consider it motivation for being even healthier after the holidays.
Gahhh!!! But seriously, how gorgeous are they?? Don’t you wish taste-o-vision was invented already? We wish we could send you samples via email but since we can’t, please do yourself a favor and whip up a batch of these perfect little parfaits. Remember, sharing is caring, but completely optional. (Wink, wink!)
- ⅔ cup mild honey, such as clover or orange blossom
- ⅓ cups natural, unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ¼ teaspoon corn-free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Fresh Raspberries
- Mint, for garnishing
- Prepare brownies:
- Place the honey in a large glass measuring cup. Microwave on high power until the honey is runny and just bubbling, 45 to 60 seconds. Add the cocoa and stir with a fork until well combined. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla. Whisk together until well blended. Add the honey-cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and stir until no traces of flour remain. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the surface looks dry around the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, about 25 minutes. Do not overbake. Place the pan on a cooling rack and let cool completely before assembling parfaits.
- Assemble parfaits:
- Using a parfait glass, cut out two brownie pieces.
- Gently push one to the bottom of the glass using a long spoon.
- Layer with coconut whipped cream and raspberries.
- Top with another layer of brownie, then top with cream and a raspberry.
- Garnish with mint.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to indulge.