Do you ever think about a meal so long you start making it in your dreams?
Well, I (Sam) do! In fact, I frequently invent new recipes in my dreams! It’s not uncommon for me to spend my nights chopping away, sifting ingredients, or mixing up delicious recipes. I’ve definitely been an imaginative dreamer since I can remember. (The difference between Bee & Sam- Sam is the dreamer & creator, Bee is the doer). Although, we can agreed that many of life’s dilemmas can be solved while asleep.
When I dreams about recipes, they only STOP once they become reality!
The meal I have been dreaming about recently is a Spring Roll Salad. I love spring rolls; especially the ones we used to order at Novo, one of her favorite restaurants in San Luis Obispo (Bee of course got the pleasure of trying them on a road trip up to SLO). But making them is terribly time consuming and eating them can be a little messy. So, while in mid-dream, she decided that a spring roll salad would be a great solution.
Now, at this point you might be muttering, “Wow, Sam, you’re so creative…you got rid of the rice paper. Cool, you really invented something new,” sarcastically under your breath. Well, okay, you have a point. BUT, in Sam’s defense, it is the the dressings/sauces that “dream Sam” thought of that make this recipe worth trying.
My mom makes this delicious ginger dressing that she got from the chef at The Mustard Seed, one of our favorite Asian restaurants. In her dream it tasted so good on the spring roll salad. To spice things up, she made another dressing using lemongrass, an ingredient I had never even used before.
The reason I dreamt about it was because it was one of the items in the box on the show Chopped that I had watched recently (Bee & Sam’s guilty pleasure, there are so many re-runs!). The fresh flavors of the lemongrass dressing paired with the ginger dressing was the perfect combination! Also, who ever heard of spring rolls being served with just one sauce for dipping? Not me!
With that, she set out to create a lemongrass dressing that resembled the one that she had tasted in my dream…..
Even though this salad isn’t made of “dream” calories, it contains so many fresh, healthy ingredients, these are the kind of calories your diet dreams about! In addition, many of the ingredients in this salad help to promote good sleep, including the fresh herbs (basil, mint, and cilantro), the lean protein (shrimp), complex carbohydrates (all the veggies), and the heart healthy fats (olive oil and avocado).
Take a few minutes to think outside of the “rice paper” and enjoy this salad as much as my family did! And, as always, we send you LOVE and PEACE without GREASE!
- 1 daikon radish, quartered and diced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced ( julienned)
- 1-2 cucumbers, cut in half then sliced thin lengthwise
- 2 carrots, shredded or julienned
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2-4 avocados, halved and sliced
- 1 handful each of basil, mint, and cilantro, chopped
- 2-4 green onions, chopped
- ½ package mung bean noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup pre-cooked shrimp (optional)
- Prepare all vegetables and herbs by peeling, chopping and/or dicing.
- If using pre-cooked shrimp, prepare according to package instructions.
- Place each ingredient into a separate container so that salads can be assembled according to personal preference. Happy Eating!