Winter time to most brings mittens, fireplaces, and snow shoveling. I (Bee) however have spent many more Christmas’s in flip-flops and sunshine than anywhere else. Currently in Southern California, during the holidays, I love waking up to the warm sun glaring through my window each morning, being able to comfortably walk through the house to make my morning coffee, and sitting outside on the deck to enjoy my favorite meal of the day, on the patio. Sure I love a snow-ski vacation, but, to me, being able to leave it behind after a few days, is worth the journey traveling to it.
My mom recently made this wonderfully hearty, healthy granola filled with good-for you things, but has the perfect crunch. Let’s just say it’s been consumed faster with me here.. so I decided to make some more, with my own twist. (See note below for gluten allergies!)
My favorite way to enjoy it… with fresh berries and almond/coconut milk, on top of vanilla or plain greek yogurt or oatmeal.
As always, sending you PEACE and LOVE without the GREASE!
- 4 cups rolled oats**
- 1⅔ cups chopped pecans
- 1½ cups oat bran** (simply ground up rolled oats)
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- 1⅓ cups sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds (or use a mixture of the 2)
- ⅓ cup flax seeds
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup hemp seed hearts
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp vegetable oil (olive or flax oil)
- 2½ cups craisins, raisins or cherries
- 1½ cups chopped dried apricots
- ⅓ cup liquid honey
- ⅓ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- dash of cinnamon
- In large bowl combine oats, pecans, bran, almonds, sunflower/pumpkin/sesame seeds (not chia or hemp yet); pour in oil and stir to coat.
- Spread on 2 parchment paper lined baking sheets; bake in 325F oven, stirring every 10 minutes or until golden (I find total of half hour does it).
- Combine honey, vanilla and orange zest; zap in microwave till warm (about 20 sec. in my micro).
- Transfer granola back into large bowl. Add fruit and honey mixture; stir into granola until well combined.
- Toss in chia and hemp seeds, toss well again. Let cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
- **Note (Be sure the rolled oats and oat bran are certified gluten free!)
- **Note: Try to buy organic seeds/nuts etc. whenever possible.